Monday, January 18, 2010

When do we STOP "closing the curtains" to the outside?

When I say "close the curtains", I am referring to people that like to pretend that "closing the curtains" to the outside, the evil that exists outside of their personal space, disappears.

I was sent a link to an event that occurred with Anderson Cooper in Haiti. The specific event and blog about it can be found here:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/01/18/anderson-in-the-midst-of-looting-chaos/?hpt=T2

First off, I will commend Cooper on assisting the boy, but let's be realistic about this, I believe that had it not been Cooper, it would have been another from his crew that would have. I do not necessarily believe that another person in the crowd partaking in the looting would have though as they were too busy "fending for themselves".

To elaborate on my train of thought, I see two groups of people in the midst of that scene: "the victims" - the residents/citizens of Haiti, and "the others" - the media and those assisting in aiding these "victims".

I can only speak to what I see and hear in regards to this specific piece, and that the one thought that sticks out is that I believe Wolf Blitzer and any other clown that thinks these "goons" are doing something good are pretty much conceited jackasses who like nothing more than putting themselves on a pedestal.

To further explain, these people in Haiti, as it stands, have nothing. It's a pretty much "fend for yourself" situation there. "The others"? Well, they are either part of the solution or part of the problem. In this specific piece, I quote Blitzer from the video:

"The video we are going to be showing you is very graphic. Young people perhaps shouldn't see this video."

Then a few seconds later, he states:

"Once again a warning, the video maybe difficult to watch, it is very graphic. You may want your kids to leave the room if there are kids there."

Now, who is he to speak about what is or not appropriate for kids to see? You see, having looked at the pictures and watched the video, I saw absolutely nothing that was so graphic that kids should not see. I did not see anything that was any worse than anything I have seen on "Cops".

The true tragedy I see here is that a pompous ass reporter such as Blitzer thinks this video is too graphic for kids to see. The tragedy is that he fails, as do many other reporters, that the true story of this situation, is that these people have pretty much nothing, and that the smallest things, such as a candle, provides a sense of normalcy in a situation that is not.

The tragedy of "closing the curtains" because we don't want our kids to see the levels that people can revert to for even the smallest of things. How do we help our future generations appreciate being part of a community, when we hide the worst that a community can become in situations like this.

But what the hell do I know, because just like Blitzer and Cooper, I have a warm bed at home with all the utilities I need.

No comments: